Monday, October 9, 2017

Well, in this family we believe in fairness. So Xander's turn for the up-all-night/fever/ear-infection/urgent-care-visit came last night. When it rains it pours people, especially with children. I think we need a frequent user's punch card at urgent care.

Xander was up all night screaming as loud as his little lungs would let him. He started running a fever at about 4am so I gave him some motrin. About 30 minutes later his fever broke and he was able to fall asleep around 5. Urgent care opened at 8am and we were there as soon as it opened.

The nurse that took Xander's vitals didn't think he had an ear infection and also lectured me for giving him motrin, saying he was too young. I was of course embarrassed and felt like I had done something akin to abuse to my baby for giving him motrin- even if it was the correct dosage for his weight and age. But, guess what? He DID have an ear infection and the doctor DID approve giving him the dosage of motrin I gave him, and in fact encouraged it because it got his fever down and made him comfortable enough to sleep a few hours before urgent care opened.

Aside from being annoyed with the nurse (who was not a doctor so she wasn't qualified to tell us those things anyway!) I'm glad I followed my mama instincts. And hey, this mama totally called the ear infection. I kind of wanted to rub it in the nurse's face as I left, but I didn't. I figured I would probably regret it later.

Xander is on antibiotics and is already doing better. Addie has no symptoms at all and is loving and living life to the fullest. Here's hoping that tonight is a better night. No more fevers, no more ear infections, no more tears, and no more urgent care visits.

But don't worry about us, we have lots of left overs and some freezer meals to tide us over. And both mom and dad are healthy which makes all the difference.

I don't have a sad picture of Xander, which would probably make me cry anyways, but here's a happy picture of Addie instead.


And thank you to whoever put happy Halloween shapes on our door. It brightened our day!

1 comment:

  1. Miss Aimee, it is NEVER,EVER fun when our kids are ill. We want them to quickly feel better and to know exactly what they need. But that is not how things go, please, please do not be hard on yourself, all we can do is the best we can do as much as it would be helpful our kids do not come with an instruction manual so we pray like crazy, make mistakes and learn and grow. You have beautiful kids and you can see they happiness especially Adi as she feels better. Remember inch by inch life's a cinch..yard by yard life is hard :)

    ReplyDelete